Men’s Tennis Bests Bloomsburg, Posts a 9-0 Shutout

Ally Furbay, Senior Writer

Carried by confidence, the men’s tennis team will be going into the post season with momentum after they posted an easy win on April 14 at Bloomsburg University with a shutout score of 9-0. The Bison ended their regular season play after this win with a record boasting 10 more wins than last year: 13-8.

The match against Bloomsburg was a nice lead-in to the Patriot League Tournament for the Bison as several players got the chance to move up in the lineup. Five freshman played in the April 14 match, each posting victories. Daniel Wright ’18 won at No. 2 singles, Maxwell Kane ’18 at No.3, Ben Gerber ’18 at No. 4, and William Szamosszegi ’18 at No. 5. Timber Erskine ’18 won his first match in his career history, defeating his Bloomsburg opponent 6-0, 6-1. 

Nick Bybel ’16 also had an easy win at No. 1 in singles, finishing at 6-0, 6-1. Bybel has now won 19 straight matches, and is a strong contender to win the Patriot League Player of the Year again.

Bybel then paired up with Octavio Canibe ’15 to post a win in doubles at No. 1, while teammates Kane and Wright won at No. 2 and Szamosszegi and Erskine won at No. 3.

The Bison head into the Patriot League tournament, which begins on April 16 at home. The Bison will enter the tournament as the fifth seed and will play fourth-seeded Colgate in the quarterfinals April 17 at noon.