Men’s golf takes second with 290 at Flash Invitational

Elizabeth Duswalt, Senior Writer

The Bison men’s golf team took second at the Red Flash Invitational on April 14. They scored their team best of a 290. John Edler ’17, D.J. Magee ’17, and Daniel Levin ’18 all placed in the individual top 10. Edler led the team with a 1-over-par 71 in the final round, which led him to place fourth.

The Bison had rounds of 293 and 294 on April 13. The next day, the team came in 13 shots behind Robert Morris but shaved off 9 shots to bring their deficit behind the Colonials to 877-873.

“The team finally brought the play we have been looking for throughout the whole year. When we made up nine shots in the final round, we finally had a reason to smile on the van ride back to campus. Bringing home hardware from the Red Flash Invitational is the momentum the team needed going into the conference championship,” Edler said.

The lowest final round score on April 14 was the Bison’s 290. Along with Edler’s 71 were three 73s from Magee, Levin and C.J. Zachary ’18. Levin finished tied for seventh with a 219 total while Magee was not far behind with a 220, putting him at a tie for ninth place. This was Levin’s third straight round at 73 in the event and his fifth in a row starting back at the Lafayette Invitational.

Edler’s fourth place and score of 71 are both his career best. Peter Scialabba ’15 also had a strong day for the Bison with a score of 77, even though it was not counted towards the team total.

The B team also did well for the Orange and Blue. Zachary Melnick ’17 posted a 75, Austin Honigford ’18 posted a 78, J.B. Thompson ’18 posted a 78 and Nick Geissler ’16 posted an 80. They combined for a team score of 311.

“The six players that are representing Bucknell during the Patriot League Championship, hosted by Colgate at Seven Oaks Golf Course, will have the fire that was stormed from losing by four strokes this past weekend and the optimism that a good team day can push us ahead of any program we compete against,” Edler said.

For the past four competitive rounds, the Bison have shot a 294 or better. This run could not come at a better time with the Patriot League Championship coming up at Colgate’s Seven Oaks Golf Club from April 25-26.