Second student tailgate proves successful

Lindsay Byrnes, Staff Writer

Six hundred University students headed over to the practice fields next to Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium for the second student tailgate of the year on April 17. The tailgate ran from 4-7 p.m. in support of men’s lacrosse and their game against Loyola University Maryland. The Department of Athletics sponsored the event along with the Undergraduate Executive Internship Program, Bucknell Student Government, Panhellenic Council, and Bison Rec.

“Overall I thought the tailgate was a great success. The open environment broke down barriers related to organizational affiliation and class year and therefore allowed the Bucknell student body to come together over a common cause, which was supporting the men’s lacrosse team. The tailgate helped increase student attendance and engagement at the lacrosse game, which resulted in one of the largest student crowds of the year. The engaged student body was able to witness the Bison’s comeback and eventual overtime victory over Loyola,” Undergraduate Executive Intern Jared Lowenthal ’15 said.

The tailgate boasted a wide array of free food, such as mac ’n’ cheese bites, pigs in a blanket, vegetable spring rolls, and chicken tenders, along with refreshments provided by Coca-Cola and Yuengling. Along with food and drink, the tailgate also included lawn games and musical entertainment from DJ Ben Burgess.  

“I hope that this tailgate will serve as a model for the future social scene of Bucknell by showing that Bucknell students are able to come together over a common cause and behave and act responsibly even in the presence of alcohol,” Lowenthal said.