Men’s basketball welcomes back Nathan Davis as head coach

Lauren Whelan, Assistant Sports Editor

On April 19, the Bison men’s basketball team welcomed Nathan Davis back to Lewisburg as the newly appointed head coach for next season. Coach Davis is no newcomer to the University; as the assistant coach under Pat Flannery, Davis was a member of the squad from 2003-2008, assisting the Orange and Blue as they achieved landmark seasons and made admirable progress into the NCAA Tournament in both 2005 and 2006.

“I am excited to welcome Nathan Davis and his family back to Bucknell. The Bucknell men’s basketball program achieved unprecedented success during his tenure as assistant coach, and Coach Davis is intimately familiar with what it takes for our student-athletes to succeed both in the classroom and on the court,” Director of Athletics and Recreation John Hardt said.

“The chance to come back to a place like Bucknell and be surrounded by such great people, such great student athletes, is thrilling,” Davis said in a press conference on April 21.

Davis spent the years away from the University as an assistant coach at Colgate University before ultimately earning the spot as the head coach for Randolph-Macon, his alma mater.  

Davis’s six seasons as head coach for Randolph-Macon were extremely successful, as he recorded 141 wins and only 39 losses. Under Davis’s leadership, the team spent three weeks during this past season at the number one ranking, advancing to the Elite 8 in the NCAA tournament.

The success that Davis found at Randolph-Macon, combined with the recent success of the Bison over the course of the past few years, displays the potential for an incredible season. The Orange and Blue will compete under the direction of Davis next season, and the excellence on the part of both the coaches and the players ensures a competitive run for the Bison in the 2015-2016 season.