Women lose first three matches

By Lindsay Regruto

Staff Writer

The women’s tennis team suffered tough losses against Pittsburgh and Duquesne over the weekend in the opening dual matches of the spring season. Later in the week, the Bison tried to score their first-ever win against Penn State, but the Lions prevailed.

Though the Bison took wins in singles and doubles, it was not enough to keep them from falling 6-1 to Pittsburgh on Friday. Lauren Lucido ’11 picked up a win in singles, defeating her Pittsburgh opponent decidedly, 6-3, 6-4. Lucido also teamed up with Daria Tuzhikova ’13 to earn the only doubles win of the day.

Tuzhikova almost claimed a second win at No. 6 singles, coming back after a 7-5 defeat in the first set to win 6-2 in the second. Unfortunately for the Bison, the close match ended in a super tiebreak, 10-8 in favor of Pittsburgh. Dumitrita Iepuras ’12 and Dara Dwojewski ’11 pushed their doubles match to a close score, ultimately falling 9-7.

With matches being kept close, the Orange and Blue are confident for the rest of their spring season.

“The match at Pitt is just a beginning of the season,” Tuzihkova said. “I believe our team is playing better and better with every single match, and soon we will bring some victories to Bucknell.”

Saturday saw a closer score for the Bison, but Duquesne ultimately pulled out a 5-2 victory over the Orange and Blue. Iepuras had a strong match, forcing three sets with a 3-6 comeback in the second but suffering a loss 6-4 in the third. Lucido and Dwojewski claimed singles wins, but the Dukes grabbed the doubles point and four singles matches.

“With our season just getting underway, it felt good to get a win,” Dwojewski said. “However, I am more looking forward to our first win as a team. We have a lot of potential, and I am excited to see where it takes us this year.”

In a weekday dual match, the Lions swept the Bison 7-0 at Penn State on Tuesday. The Orange and Blue will have the rest of the week off to focus on the upcoming dual match. The Bison will host Binghamton at the West Branch Tennis Club in Williamsport Sunday at 1 p.m.