Stellar week for soccer during non-conference play: Men victorious in Mayor’s Cup after Klug golden goal

Bethany Blass, Assistant Sports Editor

To kick off the Mayor’s Cup, Jesse Klug ’16 and Zack Rockmore ’16 each contributed one goal for the Bison, leading to a 2-2 draw against Hartwick Sept. 4. After a stellar performance Sept. 6, the Orange and Blue defeated Northern Kentucky 1-0 in double overtime and took the cup trophy.

“The team had to deal with two quality opponents who played different styles,” head coach Brendan Nash said. “Regardless, the team showed a lot of character over the weekend. We still have a lot of new parts to this team. So early on we have to improve upon figuring out our line-up and playing to certain players’ strengths. The team can improve quite a bit as the season unfolds. The good part is that they have shown they can battle with any type of team under any type of circumstance.”

Despite outshooting Hartwick 18-13, the Bison fell behind 1-0 just seven minutes into the game. Rockmore’s first career goal evened the score in the 28th minute. Despite the Orange and Blue’s defensive pressure and unrelenting offensive line, Hartwick scored again. In the final minutes of the game, Klug fired a shot to tie the game 2-2. The match was sent into overtime, when Sebastiaan Blickman ’17 and Adam Bradshaw ’17 made attempts at scoring. 

“We created quite a few scoring opportunities and were solid in the back,” Blickman said. “We need to finish the chances we create in the final third of the field, and we can improve on our communication and organization all around the field so that we are a solid unit.”

After a scoreless regulation against Northern Kentucky, Klug scored the winning goal just under five minutes into the second overtime period. Klug’s goal was set up by a nice throw-in from Connor Willings ’16 and an assist from Justin Galiani ’17. This victory earned the Bison the title and won them the Mayor’s Cup Trophy. Goalkeeper Clarke Fox ’16 blocked seven shots to keep the Orange and Blue alive.

“We went down twice in the game and showed a lot of character to come back each time,” Mike Lansing ’16 said. “In the game against Northern Kentucky, we controlled most of the game but just needed to put our chances away earlier. We were ecstatic that Jesse was able to put the ball in the net in the second OT and it won us the tournament. We’ll get back to work this week in preparation for Seton Hall and Saint Francis.”

Klug, Tyler Peterson ’19, Chris Thorsheim ’16, and Galiani were honored at the cup for their outstanding performances at the tournament. The Bison will be back home this weekend to face Saint Francis on Sept. 11 and Seton Hall on Sept. 13.

(Visited 112 times, 1 visits today)