Suspect seized at Gateways

Barbara Bell, News Editor

On Sept. 7, the University community was informed of “police activity” near the Gateway apartments in an email from Dean of Students Amy Badal.

According to the statement, the Buffalo Valley Regional Police Department (BVRPD) received a call around 7 p.m. on that day with information about a vehicle that was reported stolen about a week prior.

“The vehicle was stolen from Veterans of Foreign Wars and the car was unlocked with the keys inside,” Chief of Public Safety Steve Barilar said. 

On Sept. 7 the vehicle was spotted on Curtin Avenue, and a spectator, who recognized the vehicle as his friend’s, cut the suspect off. The statement from Badal continued, “the caller reported that an individual ran from the car when approached. Within minutes, police located that individual on campus along Gateway Drive and took him into custody without incident.”

Badal stressed that neither the suspect nor the victim was affiliated with the University. Preliminary information at this time of publication suggests that the suspect moved from the Lewisburg area several years ago and is a current resident of Lebanon, Pa. Barilar echoed this by saying that the suspect has family still in the Lewisburg area, and that unlike other isolated police activity in recent weeks on campus and in downtown housing, the incident is not linked to any occupants of downtown homes.

Badal wrote that “the incident illustrated the close lines of communication between BVRPD and Bucknell’s Department of Public Safety,” which Barilar affirmed.