4 members of men’s cross country team hit by motor vehicle

Barbara Bell, News Editor

Four University students were involved in a motor vehicle accident late Thursday afternoon Sept. 10 while jogging near Smoketown Road and Abbey Lane. At approximately 4:55 p.m. Buffalo Valley Regional Police Department (BVRPD) were dispatched to the area of Smoketown Road to the motor vehicle accident, according to a press release from BVRPD Chief Paul Yost. Andy Hirsch, Chief Communications Officer for the University, confirmed that the four students were members of the men’s cross country team and that they were jogging when they were struck by the vehicle.

David Frering ‘18, Chad Sussman ‘19, Luke Giugliano ‘17, and Benjamin Mueller ’17 were identified as the pedestrians. Frering, Sussman, and Giugliano sustained minor injuries. Mueller was treated at the scene for moderate injury, but all four students were transported to the hospital for further medical attention.

Hirsch continued in his statement, “My understanding is that the injuries were all relatively minor; three of the men were treated and released at an area hospital, and the fourth was due to be released today,” he said. At this time of publication, it was unknown if Mueller had been released.

“Certainly, our thoughts are with these four young men, and we wish them speedy recoveries,” he continued.

The incident is still under investigation. BVRPD’s report detailed that the vehicle involved, a Nissan Ultima, was operated by a woman named Tara Miller at the time of the accident and that there was an additional passenger with her.

In light of the accident, both the men’s and women’s cross country teams elected to withdraw from Sept. 11’s Harry Groves Spiked Shoe Invitational at Penn State University. According to Athletic Communications, in an article published online at bucknellbison.com, both teams are expected at the Dickinson Long-Short Invitational on Sept. 26.