Update: Four members of men’s cross country recovering from car accident

Barbara Bell, News Editor

All four University students who were involved in a motor vehicle accident near Smoketown Road and Abbey Lane on Sept. 10 have been discharged from local hospitals and are recovering.

A press release from Buffalo Valley Regional Police Department (BVRPD) Chief Paul Yost said that at approximately 4:55 p.m., the BVRPD was dispatched to the area of Smoketown Road to the motor vehicle accident.

In his statement on Sept. 11, Chief Communications Officer Andy Hirsch confirmed that the four students were members of the men’s cross country team and that they were jogging when they were struck by the vehicle.

David Frering ’18, Chad Sussman ’19, Luke Giugliano ’17, and Benjamin Mueller ’17 were identified as the four runners. Frering, Sussman, and Giugliano sustained minor injuries. Mueller was treated at the scene for moderate injury, but all four students were transported to the hospital for further medical attention.

“My understanding is that the injuries were all relatively minor; three of the men were treated and released at an area hospital, and the fourth was due to be released today,” Hirsch said.

Associate Director for Athletic Communications Jonathan M. Terry confirmed that Mueller was discharged on Sept. 11. 

“Three of the men were treated and released the same day, and one was kept overnight before being released the following day,” Terry said. 

“It was a very tough day on our program, however we are very fortunate that there were no fatalities. All four men have been discharged from the hospital and they have now started their recoveries,” Kevin Donner, head men’s and women’s cross country and track coach, said.

The incident is still under investigation. BVRPD’s report detailed that the vehicle involved, a Nissan Altima, was operated by a woman named Tara Miller at the time of the accident and that there was an additional passenger with her. The official incident report has not yet been released. 

In light of the accident, both the men’s and women’s cross country teams elected to withdraw from the Harry Groves Spiked Shoe Invitational at Penn State University on Sept. 11. Both teams are expected to compete at the Dickinson Long-Short Invitational on Sept. 26.