Student Organization Spotlight – Colleges Against Cancer

Delaney Worth, Staff Writer

On Wednesday evenings in the Seventh Street Studio, change is happening. That’s the goal, at least, of Colleges Against Cancer (CAC), a club devoted to both the awareness and eradication of the disease through various fundraisers and events.

“We fundraise money for the American Cancer Society, as well as local organizations. Some of our biggest events include the Great American Smokeout in November, and Relay for Life in the spring,” CAC President Sarah Andrews ’16 said.

The Great American Smokeout encourages smokers to either quit or choose a day to quit smoking in an encouraging atmosphere. Relay for Life, one of the most successful cancer fundraising events, involves teams spending the night walking around the indoor track to raise money for cancer research. Both events also include games, student speakers, and food.

Within the Seventh Street Studio, members have colored posters and pinned ribbons for the upcoming Paint Bucknell Pink 5K race on Sept. 27. In 2014, this event raised $1500 for the Evangelical’s Center for Breast Health. 

“Our main goal is to help a demographic, in this case college students, become more aware of cancer research and prevention information that they wouldn’t normally be aware of,” Andrews said.

With more CAC chapters popping up on campuses across the country every year, change will surely begin to sprout.