Dear Tyler

Tyler Candelora, Contributing Writer

In this article, I decided to offer my best advice in response to questions that have been sent to me.

Q: “What are some studying habits that I can use to effectively get work done?”

A: I think the first step to productively doing work depends on your location. You must find a place on campus where you feel relaxed and unbothered. This could be anywhere from the library to the cafeteria. You must focus solely on your own work, keeping a healthy mindset. Sometimes, it is a good idea to remind yourself of what you are trying to accomplish. Always keep that goal in check.

Q: “I keep going to bed late every night, and cannot seem to get adequate sleep for the next day. I’m not failing yet, so what’s the big deal?”

A: This is one of the most common problems for students in college and in high school. Many students think it is fine that they have a poor sleep schedule because their grades have not yet been affected. Having a routine sleeping pattern is arguably the most important aspect of your college career. It will, if it has not already, determine how you will perform in activities both inside and outside of the classroom. Chronic sleep loss can decrease your cognitive processes, weakening your problem-solving, concentration, and attention skills. It can also put you at risk for heart attacks, strokes, and diabetes. I would suggest you maintain a solid sleeping pattern that allows you to get between eight to 10 hours of sleep a night. You will see your whole demeanor positively change within a week.

Q: “Occasionally, I skip a class because I really don’t want to go; it is too hard. I’m even afraid to go anymore because it has been a while since I showed up. What could I do to resolve it?”

A: It is never too late to go back. Even if you cannot bring up your grade, I think it is important that you go to class and try to redeem yourself. The class may be difficult, but college is a time to challenge yourself. There is always the possibility that you could make a connection with the professor or the material. Make this your goal, and do everything you can to accomplish it.