Wanda Sykes at center stage

Elizabeth Worthington, Contributing Writer

Center Stage, an annual fall tradition for University students, will be held on Oct. 3 in the Gerhard Fieldhouse. This year, well-known comedian Wanda Sykes will be the headlining act. Doors open at 7 p.m. and student entertainers will perform from 7:30-8:45 p.m. Sykes will take the stage at 9 p.m.

Activities & Campus Events (A.C.E.) sponsors Center Stage. Emily Vislosky ’18 is the A.C.E. Executive Programming Chair and led in the planning and organization of the event.

Over the summer, A.C.E. conducted a student poll to decide who would be the headliner this year. Sykes was chosen based on poll results and Assistant Director of Campus Activities & Programs Chelsea Brown said that they “were lucky enough to be able to secure Wanda for the event as she is in high demand!”

Having such a well-known and prominent figure come to campus has generated enthusiasm among students and within the local Lewisburg community.

“I am so excited for Wanda to come, I love her!” Becky Tanner ’18 said.

The event has been well-received and highly attended in the past, and it appears that this year will be no different.

“We expect several thousand people to be at this event,” Brown said.

Sykes is an especially exciting choice for a headliner due to her presence within the LGBTQ community. It is common for Sykes to incorporate her beliefs and discussions of her own identity into her stand-up comedy acts.

“A.C.E. is proud to bring such a strong person to campus, not only to celebrate her amazing career in comedy, but to celebrate difference as we value at Bucknell each day … no matter the identities a particular person on campus holds, we can all benefit from hearing Wanda Sykes through her stand-up,” Brown said.

The Gender & Sexuality Alliance (GSA) President Taryn Urban ’18 said that the organization will be “encouraging our members to go to the event.”

In addition to Sykes, there will be student performances. All five of the University’s a capella groups and the improv/comedy group We Brake for Nobody will be sharing their talents prior to Sykes’s performance.

Students can also expect exciting food choices. This year, there will be soup, breadsticks, cookie dough on a stick, hot chocolate, and other candy and treats.