Hot Sardines Entertain Audience

Addison Bliss, Contributing Writer

To start off Family Weekend, the Weis Center for the Performing Arts featured the Hot Sardines on Sept. 25. Family members, students, and local residents filled the seats to watch the jazz band from New York perform.

The group performed in the genres of hot swing jazz and blues popularized from the 1910s to the 1960s, similar to the styles of George Gershwin and Glenn Miller. The group’s instruments  included a piano, saxophone, clarinet, trumpet, percussion, drums, double bass, and sousaphone.

Evan “Bibs” Palazzo helped lead the band, which has been playing together for approximately seven years since being founded in 2008. The uptempo sounds of the Hot Sardines produced an enjoyable night for the crowd, with more than 10 pieces being played. The band even got the crowd involved, as a couple came onstage to perform a swing dance.

The crowd also enjoyed the singing accompaniment of “Miz Elizabeth” Bougerol. Bougerol sang some of her songs in French, and also played a washboard and tambourine for the audience. Originally from France, Bougerol helped create the band after meeting Palazzo for a jam session on Craigslist. The band has now played at many locations throughout the United States.

The experienced tap dancer Edwin “Fast Eddy” Francisco performed as well, both sitting in a chair while tap dancing and tap dancing on his feet onstage.  

Some of the more well-known songs that were played included “The Jungle Book” track “I Wanna Be Like You” and Gershwin’s “Lady, Be Good.”

The next event at the Weis Center is the Lakota Sioux Dance Theatre on Oct. 2 at 7:30 p.m.