Pumpkin Spice Lattes of Lewisburg

Caroline Wenzel, Campus Life Editor

Pumpkin Spice Lattes, though introduced by Starbucks in 2003, have become one of the biggest social fads of the last three years. They can be found at the University’s Seventh Street Café, Bertrand Library Café, Barnes and Noble Café, and off-campus hot spot Amami Kitchen & Espresso Bar.

Six students were asked which location they preferred, and the majority of them said the best on-campus destination to get a Pumpkin Spice Latte is the Seventh Street Café, mainly due to its atmosphere and location. Students feel as though the Bertrand Library Café is for last-minute coffee, while the Seventh Street Café allows for a calm location to sip their beverages without feeling rushed. The Barnes and Noble Café and Amami are both seen as too out of the way to only grab a quick latte.

The ingredients that go into a Pumpkin Spice Latte at the Seventh Street Café are standard: steamed milk, espresso, and fall spice flavoring.

“When someone orders a Pumpkin Spice Latte, the first step is to do some basic ‘barista’ stretches–these include wrist shakes and finger curls. Next, we gather the necessary supplies (cup, milk, pumpkin spice potion, and espresso). After we prepare the espresso, we strive for a certain shade of brown we like to call ‘bistre brown’–but we will settle for chocolate brown if the espresso machine just isn’t feeling itself. After that we heat the milk between 156.8-157.3 degrees Fahrenheit; if it is too hot or too cold you might as well call it a McCafé. The final step is assembly in this order: add pumpkin spice potion, espresso, lightly stir, add steamed milk, and then milk foam to top it off. I know this is assembly is typical for the café in the library and in Barnes and Nobles, and we all use the same pumpkin spice potion. So you will pretty much find the same tasting latte at any Bucknell café spot,” Seventh Street Café barista Lucy Fishell ’18 said.

Earlier this semester, after the Seventh Street Café brought back this seasonal menu addition, their latte machine broke (it was tragic if I do say so myself). Because the place of most convenience was out of order, students had to look elsewhere to procure their limited time only fall drink. As a result, Bertrand Library, Barnes and Noble, and Amami became the most notable alternatives. For convenience, the obvious second choice would be the library as another on-campus location. But it seems students still preferred Amami Espresso Bar & Kitchen, despite its off-campus location.

“Aside from Seventh Street Café, I feel like when I go to Amami I am in the mood for pumpkin spice. The library and Barnes and Noble don’t make me want a latte, but maybe a simple and quick coffee so I can get on my way. Also, the lattes at Amami are just really, really good,” Laura Tingley ’17 said.

Wherever you decide to get your latte, remember that this is a limited time only drink—so take full advantage. ’Tis the season for pumpkin spice!