Dancing with a Cause: Bucknell’s Second Annual Dance Marathon to Take Place November 7th

Caitlin Maloney, Contributing Writer

During the University’s first Dance Marathon last year in November 2014, the campus community raised funds for the Children’s Miracle Network at Geisinger’s Janet Weis Children’s Hospital in Danville, Pa. On Nov. 7 in Davis Gym from 7 p.m. to midnight, the Dance Marathon is back with even more activities, hosts, and dancing.

The event will be hosted by the Interfraternity Council, Panhellenic Council, and Alpha Phi Omega service fraternity, and is being coordinated by a committee of 12 University students and advisor Mary Klebon, the Assistant Director of Fraternity & Sorority Affairs and Community Development. The event’s Vice President of Public Relations Allison Ward ’17 discussed the committee’s plan to improve upon last year’s already successful event. Ward envisions the new partnership with the coeducational service organization Alpha Phi Omega being “integral in engaging the non-Greek community, bringing fresh ideas, and helping execute the event.” Additionally, the committee launched a “$30,000 in 30 days” campaign to double the funds raised last year.

The planning committee was recently able to visit the Geisinger Janet Weis Children’s Hospital to see how the money raised during the event will benefit the children there.

“One of the outlets that we will be contributing to with the funds raised is Child Life, the part of the hospital that works to maintain normalcy in a child’s life when they have a long-term stay at the hospital,” Ward said.

Another portion of the funds will directly help the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at Geisinger’s Janet Weis Children’s Hospital, where high-risk newborn babies are treated directly after birth.

“Attendees can expect two student DJ’s, a great show from We Brake for Nobody, a performance from the Bison Girls Dance Team, a fun Zumba dance activity, at least three miracle families prepared to share their children’s stories, great food, and more,” Ward said.