Costa Rica Bound

Brandon Ponzo, Staff Writer

If you’re one of the 16 University students that camped out the night of Nov. 5 in the Student Space, then you might be one of the 11 lucky people going on a trip of a lifetime during spring break 2016. The Bucknell Spring Break 2016 in Costa Rica is the trip that will make spring break much more adventurous for 11 University students.

Every spring break Outdoor Education and Leadership hosts a different trip. With past experiences such as mountain biking the canyons of Utah, paddling in the everglades, and even backpacking in the Grand Canyon National Park, students have been guaranteed to have a good time. A limited number of spaces means it’s necessary to sign up quickly.

“These experiences are cost effective … it’s a sustainable way to travel. I love the power of these experiences. If you are open to it, it can and will be life changing,” Director of Outdoor Education Tony Stafford said.

Stafford, college student personnel Brenna Powell, and Liz Semeraro ’16 will be leading the Costa Rica trip. At the beginning of spring break, students will fly to Costa Rica and experience hiking to waterfalls, snorkeling, a ziplining/canopy tour, an overnight white water rafting camping experience, and beach cruising on bikes.

But why camp out for a spot on the trip? Backpacking trips entail tossing away all but the necessities that you can fit into a small bag, and traveling to unknown territory where you immerse yourself in the language, culture, and nature of the land. You grow closer to those around you, you learn about yourself, and you learn even more about the world around you.

Stafford said that camping out in the Langone Center is merely “taking the first step” toward an enriching and unique break experience.