Editorial: Supporting those who sacrificed

November 11 is set aside to celebrate and remember those who are currently giving or have given their time and possibly their lives to protect this country. One day in November is insufficient compared to the sacrifices that veterans give each day, but it is a small token that assures our parents, friends, relatives, peers, and fellow citizens that their service does not go unnoticed, and that we are thankful.

Nearly everyone in this community knows someone who is serving or has served this nation, and the connection to Veterans Day is ingrained in our culture. The University’s ROTC program allows graduates to be commissioned as officers in the U.S. Army, demonstrating the intimate link between our college and those who serve or hope to serve.

We often see students observing Veterans Day through social media outlets, but there was not much observance put forth from the University through sponsored events. On a sacred day meant to honor our veterans, the recognition simply wasn’t there.

A professor mentioned how it is inconvenient for Veterans Day to fall in the middle of the week. There is irony in that statement. A day for celebrating full-serving members of our armed services who risk their lives every day deserves to be more than an inconvenience.

It is a national holiday that should be acknowledged, celebrated, and respected. If the University decides to keep classes in session, it is the University’s responsibility to show its support and to educate students, faculty, and staff with assemblies, panels, talks, and opportunities for Veterans Day enrichment. This school goes to incredible lengths to bring many speakers, panelists, musicians, and comedians to campus, so why is Veterans Day neglected?

Some organizations on campus have taken the initiative to recognize Veterans Day. Active Minds and ROTC teamed up to support both Veterans Day and National Veterans Awareness Week by having students write letters to veterans. The Campus Theatre screened “Memphis Belle” to honor all veterans, sponsored by the Bucknell Community Engagement Fund.

It seems the University did not do as much as it could have to celebrate all those who have served in the military, but we still can as a community–not just during one day in November, but year-round.

The Bucknellian staff would like to thank all of those who have served, are currently serving, are supporting someone who serves, or have made a sacrifice in order to protect our nation at home.