Lady Bison finish meet in third place

By Mike Wolf

The women’s swimming team capped a great season this past weekend with an overall third-place finish in a tough Patriot League championships. The three-day championship meet took place in the Kinney Natatorium between Thursday and Saturday. This achievement marks the 11th straight year that the Bison have finished in the top three in the Patriot League.

The Bison had five separate top-five places over the course of the championships. Colgate finished first by over 100 points, winning its third Patriot League Championship in four years. Navy, the defending champion, took second place with a total score of 760. The Orange and Blue ended with a total score of 581.5 and held third place by a solid 250 points.

Emily Wright ’14 had a great showing over the course of the weekend and finished second in the 50 free and 100 free on Thursday and Saturday, respectively. Wright’s 100 free time of 51.24 seconds was good enough to put her fourth all-time in the Bison record books.

Another first-year, Kelly Pontecorvo, helped the team by placing third in the 1,650 free with a time of 16:50.89. That time was the second-best time in program history and a personal best by four seconds.

The final event on Saturday was the 400-free relay in which Wright, Pontecorvo, Elizabeth Porcellio ’13 and Kaitlyn Utkewicz ’14 combined for a season best 3:27.75. They completed the meet on a positive note with a third place finish, also the third best time in Bison history. Porcellio also contributed with two fifth place finishes in the 200 breast stroke and 200 IM, and a sixth place finish in the 200 free.

The women’s swimming team’s season is finished but a few individuals have the opportunity to participate in the ECAC Championships this weekend, which will officially end the season.