Women's golf finishes 26th in S.C.

By Thomas Walter

The women’s golf team traveled to Kiawah Island, S.C. this past weekend to compete in the three-day Edwin Watts/Kiawah Island Intercollegiate for its first tournament of the spring season. The Bison shot a three-day total of 959 to finish 26th out of 33 teams. Katie Jurenovich ’11 led the Orange and the Blue as she tied for 46th with a three-day individual total of 231.

After finding success this past fall season, the Bison looked to continue their momentum into the spring season. They began their season with a challenge in this tournament that included some of the best teams in women’s golf such as the University of Miami and the University of Nebraska.

“We have a young team so it was very important for us to just remain confident and remind ourselves to just do the best we can because we haven’t been able to practice on grass like most of the other teams have.” Jurenovich said.  “I think we still have a lot of mental work to do for the rest of the season in just believing in ourselves and that we can make every shot.”

Out of the five players that traveled to Kiawah, three were first-years. Lauren Bernard ’14, Kasha Scott ’14 and Bridget Wilcox ’14 joined Jurenovich and Minjoo Lee ’12. Wilcox led the first-years, finishing with a three-day total of 242.

One of the most promising things from the trip down south was that after opening with a 331 on Sunday, the Bison rebounded Monday and Tuesday with scores of 313 and 315, respectively.

Lee said that she feels as though there might have been some rust on the first day of competition.

“We all have been practicing really hard,” Lee said. “The scores at Kiawah may not have necessarily reflected the hard work but the conditions were extremely hard.”

The women will look to continue their improvement when they play again on March 14-15 at the Jackrabbit Invitational in Primm, Nev.