Mind your mental health

Mental health is vital for the success of any college student. It is easy enough to remember to visit Bucknell Student Health (BSH) to get a flu shot or check-up, but looking after one’s mental health is often harder to address.

Students should be aware of the resources the University has to offer, especially during times of stress or grief. The Counseling & Student Development Center (CSDC) offers free and confidential services, including individual counseling, group counseling/support groups, outreach programming, and alcohol and other drug services.

Additionally, Active Minds is a student-run group at the University that seeks to remove the stigma surrounding mental health, especially among young people. Active Minds is a national non-profit organization with its own chapter on campus and has held events including an eating disorder panel, candlelight yoga, and free hot chocolate during finals week.

In fact, it is this stigma that deters many students from seeking help even if they are really struggling. While the CSDC offers many services, students have reported difficulties with scheduling appointments to meet with a counselor or staff psychologist. Students can take advantage of walk-in hours for a 15-30 minute consultation if they want to meet before a scheduled appointment is available, or they can alert the receptionist if faced with an emergency.

The responsibility of valuing mental health at the University is two-fold. First, students should be aware of their mental health options and practice self-care. This can be as simple as taking a walk outside or showering, or even attending a yoga class or meditating. Secondly, the University must continue to make mental health resources accessible and less intimidating to students who may be wary of opening up to a professional.

1 Comment

One Response to “Mind your mental health”

1. Harold A. Maio on April 15th, 2016 12:51 pm

—Additionally, Active Minds is a student-run group at the University that seeks to remove the stigma surrounding mental health—

The issue is not “the stigma”, no one ought lend that prejudice credence, but the people who declare it.

Please act editorially responsibly, you do not offer validity to any claim of “stigma”.

khmaio@earthlink.net

*

Mind your mental health