Softball team drops 2-1 in series against Army

Curt Bliamptis, Senior Writer

The softball team was busy on April 10, playing Army West Point in back-to-back games at Becker Field. After splitting the doubleheader, the Bison now have a 21-16 overall record and a 6-3 record in the Patriot League. The Bison now sit in third place in the Patriot League.

The first game was a pitching duel between Dana Nielsen ’16 and her Army counterpart. After eight and a half innings of a scoreless game, Mariah Midyette ’16 drove in sophomore Paulina Gutkin ’18 for the game’s only run and a walk-off win for the Orange and Blue.

Nielsen pitched seven scoreless innings for the Bison, surrendering only six hits, no walks, and striking out three. Amanda Fazio ’16 relieved Nielsen in the eighth inning and held Army scoreless. She was flawless in her two innings of work, surrendering no hits, no walks, striking out three, and receiving the win to make her 11-6 on the season.

The Bison recorded seven hits, all singles. They did not record any errors for the third straight game.

The second game was close through the first four innings until the Bison committed three errors in the fifth inning, which helped propel the Black Knights to a commanding 7-0 lead. The Bison rallied for three runs in the sixth, but it was not enough; they eventually fell to the Black Knights 9-3.

Lara Bean ’17 started on the mound for the Bison and gave up one earned run over two innings. She also earned a strikeout and needed only three pitches to get through the second inning.

The Bison concluded their series with Army on April 11 with a 5-1 loss.

The Orange and Blue will play Boston University on April 16-17 and hope to gain some momentum for their upcoming Patriot League match-ups.