Athlete of the Week: Jessica Ratner ’17

Lauren Whelan, Sports Co-Editor

Position: Goalkeeper
Height: 5’7″
Year: Senior
Hometown: Langhorne, Pa.
High School: Pennington School (N.J.)

Although this fall marks the start of her last season in net for the Bison, women’s soccer goalkeeper Jessica Ratner ’17 has made it clear that she is far from finished making her mark on the program. On Aug. 28, the women’s soccer team defeated Wright State 2-0, with Ratner topping the charts for the most shutouts recorded in program history. The shutout versus Wright State marked Ratner’s 16th shutout, nudging her just above Kathryn Sutton ’09.

Reflecting on her time in the program, Ratner recognizes how far she has come since stepping on the field and representing the Orange and Blue for the first time.

“The shift from a timid first year to the confidence I have now in my last season is crazy, and my teammates and coaches only continue to boost that level of confidence every day,” Ratner said. “Whether we’re training on the field or lifting in the weight room, we push each other to be the best we can be, and that is one of my favorite things about this team.”

Over the course of her four seasons, Ratner admits that it was not always an easy climb to where she now stands at the top of the charts. Specifically, she recalls her struggles on the field, and acknowledges that a lot of her challenges lie within her own head.

“Too many times I’d let my frustration affect how I trained, and this was especially true sophomore year. Once I finally built up my confidence enough to break down those frustrations, I started to make real strides as a goalkeeper,” Ratner said.

Despite this, Ratner was clearly able to overcome her obstacles as she has found continuous success. She particularly notes the help she has received from her support system made up of her coaches, teammates, and family.

“Whether we’re training on the field or lifting in the weight room, we push each other to be the best we can be, and that is one of my favorite things about this team,” Ratner said.

While she has surely started the season off with a bang, Ratner recognizes that there is still a long season ahead for the women’s soccer team.

“I try not to think about the fact that this is the last season for us seniors, but I am just so excited to make this a season to remember with this group, and I want to take in as much as I can from both my teammates and coaches. We have something really special, and I think we can make some big things happen this year,” Ratner said.

Ratner and the women’s soccer team will be back in action on Sept. 4 when they take on Rider on their home turf.

Stats:

Program Record in Shutouts: 16

2016: Named to Preseason All-Patriot League Team

2015: Second Team All-Patriot League and Patriot League All-Tournament Team