Rodgers continues extensive coaching experience with Bison volleyball

Bethany Blass, Sports Co-Editor

Women’s volleyball assistant coach Kevin Rodgers joins the Bison this season with over seven years of collegiate-level coaching experience under his belt. Rodgers holds a master’s degree in sports administration from Fairleigh Dickinson University (FDU) and will look to assist the Orange and Blue in the 2016 season. Joining assistant coach Michael Hobson and head coach Anna Allison, Rodgers’ focus will be to improve hitting and blocking team statistics.

“Working with the team has been great so far,” Rodgers said. “Their positive attitudes and hard work ethic is undoubtedly going to bring us a lot of success. As a coach, you hope to have the opportunity to mentor such diligent players that always want to get better in everything that they do.”

The Los Angeles native makes his transition to the University from his most recent four-year position as a head coach for the men’s volleyball team at Ramapo College of Mahwah, N.J. From his time there, he boasts 83 wins and an impressive conference record of 49-9. Additionally, Rodgers managed to balance a second coaching position as an assistant coach for the women’s volleyball team at FDU for two years. Prior to those positions, he coached at his alma mater, New Jersey City University (NJCU), acting as the assistant men’s coach, and later as the head coach for the men’s and women’s teams for a season.

Rodgers’ history with volleyball can be traced back to New Jersey’s Clifton High School, where he earned multiple awards. Among these awards were two First-Team All-League and First-Team All-County awards, as well as the title of Bergen Record North Jersey Player of the Year in 2005. At the collegiate-level, Rodgers continued his notable career, playing at NJCU as a two-year captain. There he earned First-Team All-North East Collegiate Volleyball Association (NECVA) Metro Division accolades as a middle hitter in 2008, as well as Second-Team All-NECVA Metro Division honors as an outside hitter his senior year. His standout athletic efforts helped him guide his team to a winning 71-55 overall record, as well as three post-season tournament appearances and a pair of 20-win seasons. Rodgers is the only player in NJCU history to tally more than 1,250 kills and 1,000 digs in a career; his impressive numbers have earned him the No. 2 spot in NJCU history in kills, points, reception percentage, attacks, and service attempts.

“I wanted to start coaching at the DI level after playing and coaching DIII for the past decade. I saw the progress that Coach Allison has made with the program over the past three years and wanted to be a part of that success and hopefully help her and the team earn a spot in the playoffs,” Rodgers said.

As a former collegiate athlete, Rodgers knows that the experiences and education that Bison athletes are receiving is unique.

“The academic side of Bucknell was also a huge factor in my decision to apply,” Rodgers said. “When I sell a school to recruits, I want to make sure that the school I’m selling will leave them prepared to get a job in the field they’re studying. Based on Bucknell’s numbers, I know that all of the players on the team will have success when graduating.”

With two tournaments under their belt for the season, the Bison have registered a 2-4 record so far. As the Bison continue their season at the upcoming Penn Invitational, Rodgers is looking forward to making progress with the team. With a finish last season just one spot out of qualification for playoffs, the end goal this season is to make the Patriot League Conference championship.

“With the talent we have on the team, along with a great coaching staff in Michael and Anna, I truly believe that we are going to make it there,” Rodgers said.