Segar '12 leads swimming at ECAC championships

By Colin Fields

Matt Segar ’12 broke a school record in the 200-yard freestyle that had stood for 23 years en route to victory as the men’s swimming team competed at the ECAC Championships in Pittsburgh last weekend. Thomas Brown ’12 also broke his own school record in the 200 backstroke, and the Bison 800-free relay team brought home a victory in one of the most successful Eastern Championships in school history.

Segar broke a record that was set by Bison hall-of-famer Jim Harvey, who set the record in the 1988 NCAA Championships. Segar’s time of 1:38.41 in Trees Pool Saturday beat Harvey’s time of 1:38.63 over two decades earlier.

“It feels awesome to break a record. It’s really an honor to break a record that’s been held by one of the most accomplished athletes in Bucknell history. It was a goal that I had for over a year now, and it’s nice to finally achieve it,” Segar said.

With his victory, Segar took home the first ECAC title of his career and Susquehanna Valley Limousine Bison Athlete of the Week honors.

“Going into the meet placing in the top eight was my main goal,” he said. “I definitely didn’t expect to win. Ideally I wanted to swim a little faster, but overall I’m happy with how I finished.”

Brown finished third in the 200 backstroke. At the Patriot League Championships a week earlier, Brown swam the 200 back in 1:48.04, breaking the school record. Brown did it again this week by swimming it in 1:47.85, shaving .19 off his own record.

Segar and teammates Christian Treat ’13, Trevor Reitz ’14 and Matt Ramey ’14 won the 800-free relay in the final event of the night on Saturday. The quartet’s time of 6:47.12 was fourth-best in Bison history, despite having two first-years in the relay. Ramey also reached the finals in the 200 back and the 400 IM.

“It was a good atmosphere,” Ramey said. “I enjoyed being at a familiar location like Pittsburgh because it’s close to my home. It felt great to be on the winning relay, and I think it just makes you even more excited for next year’s competition.”

The Bison boasted winners in multiple events at the Eastern Championships for the first time since 1993, an outstanding conclusion to the year for the men’s swim team.