Football loses nail-biter to VMI in triple OT


Scott Goldstein, Contributing Writer

During the University’s Family Weekend, the Bison football team took on yearly opponent Virginia Military Institute (VMI) on Sept. 24. Despite falling to VMI 23-17 in triple overtime, Will Carter ’17 had an impressive game, recording multiple impressive catches for the Orange and Blue.

On the opening drive of the game, VMI traveled 88 yards over the course of eight plays, scoring a touchdown, but failed to convert on their two-point conversion. After several drives in which neither team was able to score any points, the Bison managed to take the lead in the second quarter on a two-yard touchdown pass from Matt Muh ’18 to Carter. The touchdown was set up by a 41-yard catch by Carter.

The Bison were able to extend their lead to 14-6 in the third quarter when Carter caught a 13-yard pass for his second touchdown of the game. The two touchdowns Carter caught against VMI gave him his 18th career receiving touchdown, tying the school record.

On the drive following Carter’s second touchdown, VMI was able to strike back and even the score 14-14 on an eight-play 64-yard drive, which was capped off by an eight-yard touchdown scamper and a pass to score the two-point conversion. With the score tied up, the Bison were determined to take the lead and almost did at the end of the third quarter, but failed to convert on a fourth-down within the VMI 10-yard line.

Despite the failed attempt, the Bison got the ball back and were able to score a 22-yard field goal that put them up by three, making the score 17-14. Riding the momentum of taking back the lead, Brice Sydnor ’19 intercepted a pass by VMI on the very next drive with 7:17 remaining in the game.

“I’ve been waiting for this day since I came to [the University] to get my first start,” Sydnor said. “To have an interception in my first start was a dream come true. My parents, uncle, and grandmother were at the game and it was the first time my uncle and grandmother got a chance to see me play college football in person, ” he said.

Despite the interception, the Bison were unable to deliver and punted the ball with 5:44 minutes remaining. VMI had a successful drive and tied up the game 17-17 on a field game with 59 seconds remaining. Unable to score with the remaining time, the game went into overtime. VMI had the second possession in overtime and managed to move the ball down to the Bison’s five-yard line.

The 22-yard field goal attempt by VMI was blocked by Julien Davenport ’17. The Bison were not able to score and the ball returned to VMI possession. Once again, VMI moved in the field goal range but this time missed their 38-yard field goal attempt wide left. With possession of the ball, the Bison were able to move the ball and attempted a 42-yard field goal but missed.

In the third overtime, the Bison had the ball to begin but were intercepted on the first play. This time VMI was able to score on a 12-yard run giving them the lead and the victory. Following their week off, the Orange and Blue will travel for their next game, taking on Holy Cross Oct. 8.

(Visited 244 times, 1 visits today)