Sophomore and senior talent propel Bison to a victory

Bri Pomonis, Contributing Writer

The Bison women’s cross country team finished in third place at Lehigh’s Paul Short Run on Oct. 1 with 96 points. This race carried on the success the Bison have seen this season; they are currently ranked eighth in the Mid-Atlantic region and were coming off a seventh place title from the Sept. 23 Virginia/Panorama Farms Invitational.

Competing in the Brown race, Colleen Buckley ’19 finished tenth of 134 runners with a 6k time of 21:34.  Buckley topped the second highest Patriot League competitor by 11 points.

“When I race, I try to focus on what I can do in the moment to make sure I have no regrets when I cross the finish line. I try to stay focused and not allow myself to make any excuses,” Buckley said.

Joining Buckley in the top 50 for the Brown race were Anna Chiodo-Ortiz ’19 in 15th, Margaret Thomson ’19 in 24th, Lauren Hazzard ’19 in 26th, Brennan Sharkey ’18 in 29th, and Tabitha Wismer ’19 in 41st.

Kate Scott ’17 made an astounding comeback after missing the Virginia/Panorama Farms Invitational. Competing in the Open race, Scott finished 6th out of 405 runners and first among Division 1 athletes.

Also finishing in the top half in the Open were Sara Christian ’18 (153rd), Mikayla Cochrane ’20 (168th), Hope Beyer ’20 (198th) and Lauren Lamoureux ’17 (199th).

“We were able to show off the depth of our team, and a lot of people stepped up and had awesome races,” Buckley said. “After a meet like this, we all get super excited to race again and everyone really wants to train hard in the meantime to make more races like this happen.”

The team will return to competition Oct. 14 at the Penn State National.