Men’s water polo has double-digit consecutive wins

Annie Collett, Staff Writer

The Bison men’s water polo team faced both Wagner and Fordham on Oct. 1, beating the former 13-11 and the latter 14-11. These wins pushed the Bison’s winning streak to nine games and improved their record to 11-1, their best start to a season since 1980. The Orange and Blue are now ranked ninth in the nation.

In the Wagner game, Nate Hunter ’17 had four goals, while Marko Djordjevic ’19, Jeff Hagen ’18, and Rade Joksimovic ’20 each tallied two goals. The Orange and Blue tied with Wagner six times until R.J. Moore ’17 scored a goal to make the score 9-8, where it remained until the game’s end.

“This weekend was tough. We played a game against Wagner in shallow-deep pool, which is always difficult. The score was tight, but we managed to win the game with excellent shots in the last quarter,” Djordjevic said.

A few hours later, the Bison geared up to play Fordham. Hunter tallied two goals and two assists in this match, Joksimovic scored five goals, and Ratimir Babic ’17 made four goals. The Orange and Blue led the game by four goals at one point and were never tied.

“We didn’t play as well against Fordham, since it was our second game of the day, yet we managed to win the game in the end and that is all that matters. From now on the rest of conference games will be at Bucknell so we are looking forward to play on our pool,” Djordjevic said.

“We have a really good freshman class, which strengthened the team and gave us the opportunity to almost be undefeated. Everybody on the team is motivated and is working very hard in order to reach our goal, which is to go to the NCAA state championship,” Djordjevic said.

After five away games, the Bison are finally returning home to host George Washington and Navy on Oct. 8.