Theatre department presents ‘Marisol’

Mallory Steffey, Contributing Writer

The University’s Department of Theatre & Dance will present “Marisol” on Oct. 21, 22, and 24 at 7:30 p.m. and Oct. 23 at 2 p.m. On Oct. 23, a talkback will follow featuring guest speakers Dr. Matthew Dicintio, dramaturg for the production, and University Professor of English Elena Machado Sáez. The cast, crew, and the director will also be involved. Tickets are $5 for students and may be purchased at the show, online, or at the Weis Center box office.

Marisol” follows a young Puerto Rican woman as she struggles through a strange world transformed by magical realism. As God lays dying in heaven, taking the rest of the universe to the grave with him, the angels are forced into revolt, leaving their humans to fight for themselves in a fractured universe. The moon’s gone missing, every bit of food tastes of salt, and Marisol finds herself thrust into a narrative she had never thought possible. As she struggles to reclaim what she knows, Marisol confronts human nature, the awful things we do to each other, power, violence, friendship, and the reality of gentrification in 1990s New York.

The production features a cast spanning first years to seniors from every walk of life on campus. “Marisol” is directed by Ibby Cizmar ’03 , who currently resides in New York City and teaches at the American Academy for Dramatic Arts. She is serving as Visiting Assistant Professor of Theatre and Dance this semester and, in addition to directing the fall mainstage production, she teaches “Rituals/Festivals/Institutions” and “Live on Stage” in the Theatre Department.