On pointe: Fall dance shows

Natalie Spears, Special Features Editors & Managing Editor

Each semester, the Department of Theatre & Dance hosts one dance showcase and one dance concert performed by members of various dance courses, clubs, and companies. This fall, the Fall Dance Showcase, directed by Kelly Knox, took place on Nov. 11 and 12. The Fall Dance Concert, directed by Er-Dong Hu, will take place on Dec. 2 and 3. Both shows exhibit stunning choreography, costumes, and lighting, a result of months of hard work from every person involved.

Dance Showcase Recap

The Fall Dance Showcase was an opportunity for dancers of any experience-level to perform on the Harvey M. Powers Theatre stage and demonstrate their skills. According to Bucknell Dance Company (BDC) member Elizabeth Suczewski ’17, students auditioned at the beginning of the semester and were then put into groups choreographed by students, faculty, or guest artists. The Showcase also featured student-run dance groups including the Bisonettes, the Bison Girls, and Irish Step. There were performances by beginner dance technique classes as well.

Students and faculty prepared all semester for the Fall Dance Showcase. Dancers had to practice one to two hours a week for every piece they were in.

We all got together once a week a few weeks prior to the Dance Showcase to practice. All the girls worked so hard for the piece to make it the best it could be,” Caroline Kehrli ’18, a dancer in the Irish Step piece, said.

Performances in the Dance Showcase were about three to five minutes long and demonstrated a wide range of dance styles and techniques, compared to the Dance Concert which will exhibit longer, more specialized dance performances.

Bucknell Dance Concert Preview

The Fall Dance Concert will take place in the Harvey M. Powers Theatre at 7:30 p.m. It is the Mainstage Event for the Department of Theatre and Dance. Similar to the Showcase, students have to audition for the Concert and are put into choreography groups. The show consists of seven pieces performed by the BDC and choreographed by students, faculty, and guest artists.

“The Mainstage performance hones in on styles like modern, ballet, jazz, and contemporary, while challenging dancers theatrically and technically,” Suczewski said.

The Dance Concert requires intense preparation, as the pieces are longer and more technical than the Showcase pieces. Dancers practice two to four hours a week per piece that they are in and are required to enroll in a technique class, a quarter-credit repertory course, and attend all concert dance performances and master classes. This more involved production allows dancers and choreographers to gain experience.

“[The Dance Concert] provides both choreographers and dancers the opportunity to work on enhancing the skills required for a longer, often more narrative set of choreography with varying sections and styles within the single piece,” Suczewski said.

In order for choreographers to keep their pieces unique, they look to multiple different outlets for inspiration. Previous productions have had themes, but this semester’s concert does not. Instead, each piece will have an authentic style.

“Each choreographer pulled from a wide range of their own experiences to create a distinct set of choreography,” Suczewski said. “Inspirations arise from daily life, music, current events, and everywhere in between, which allows for a unique concert each semester.”