Arent ’12 shines in IC4A Championships

By Colin Fields

Robert Arent ’12 reached the finals of the 400-meter run and received All-East honors as the men’s track team concluded its indoor season at the IC4A Championships at Boston University last weekend. The distance medley team joined Arent in receiving All-East distinction. Chris Sacks ’14 set a new personal record and ran the second-fastest time in program history in the 800.

Arent ran a time of 47.83 seconds in the preliminary round of the 400 to break his own personal record and advance to the finals. Arent’s time breaks his personal record that already ranked second in Bison history. The junior’s performance earned him the first All-East selection of his career.

“I am pleased with my performance at the IC4A Championship meet,” Arent said. “I was happy with just improving upon my personal best in the 400 but glad I also was able to claim All-East honors, which was a great bonus to come out of the weekend.”

The distance medley relay team ran a time of 10:01.42 and finished seventh in the finals. The time gave Dustin Horning ’13, Dennis Logan ’14, Clayton Smith ’11 and Christopher Boyd ’11 All-East accolades.

Sacks followed his Rookie of the Meet performance at the Patriot League Championships with a strong time in the 800-meter run Saturday. Sacks ran the 800 in 1:50.41, setting a new personal record and giving him the fastest 800 time since 1977.

Sacks concluded a successful season for the Bison and one of the most successful indoor seasons by a first-year in program history. Sacks’ multiple victories in the Patriot League Championships make him one of the most decorated first-years as well.

“I honestly didn’t have many personal goals going into indoor other than get a feel for the competition,” Sacks said. “As the season went on, and our team was performing well, I wanted to make a statement at the league meet. The main point was to show that you can step up and contribute to the team regardless what class year you are. Overall, I had a lot of fun and I’m looking forward to a rematch against Army and Navy in the spring.”

The Bison will kick off the spring season March 26 at the Susquehanna and Towson invitationals.