Chrysalis 2017: A rapper’s delight

Erin Hausmann, Staff Writer

This year’s Chrysalis Ball performer will be the Sugarhill Gang, according to Activities and Campus Events (ACE).

Known for their 1979 multi-platinum hit “Rapper’s Delight,” the Sugarhill Gang is considered one of the inaugural founders of hip-hop. “Rapper’s Delight” was the first rap single to become a Top 40 hit on the Billboard Hot 100, and remains their most-well known and popular hit today.

The Sugarhill Gang was chosen after a series of surveys sent out to the campus community last semester. The artists featured in the initial survey were unavailable, prompting distribution of a second survey in January. The Sugarhill Gang was included on the second survey, and received overwhelmingly positive results from students, faculty, and staff. According to ACE, the Sugarhill Gang was the top choice of the survey results, and fortunately the hip-hop group accepted the offer to perform at the University.

Since 1999, “Chrysalis has been a long-standing Bucknell tradition in which the Bucknell community comes together to celebrate the successful completion of another academic year,” Chrysalis Chair Kimberly Shust ’18 said.

This year’s Chrysalis Ball will be held in Gerhard Fieldhouse on April 28 from 9 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. Tickets will be available for purchase beginning March 20.

“The Sugarhill Gang has a lot of upbeat, instrumental songs that are perfect to dance to and we know they’ll put on a really fun performance,” Shust said.

“I definitely feel like I am more motivated to attend the event with the knowledge that the Sugarhill Gang will be in performance. I have rocked out to ‘Rapper’s Delight’ more than once—it’s on my cardio playlist,” Michael Drabich ’20 said.