Lights, camera, fire: Arts Residential College bus trip sidelined

Charles Beers, News Editor

University students received a shock on the morning of March 4 when a Susquehanna Trailways bus caught fire on a trip to New York City. Reports from state police officers indicate that approximately 35 students were on the bus when it caught fire on Interstate 80 east between the Buckhorn and Bloomsburg exits.

The students aboard the bus were members of the Arts Residential College taking a trip into New York City. The group’s goal was to explore the Chelsea area in the morning, with some students opting to visit the Museum of Modern Art.

Caitlin Friel ’19 recounted how the group evacuated once the smoke became more noticeable.

“The whole ordeal happened slowly so no one was even close to getting hurt. There was a weird smell and smoke coming from the inside of the bus towards the back and we got out pretty quickly,” Friel said.

Once the firefighters arrived, the bus burst into flames and the interstate was sectioned off to one lane as the fire was put out and the mess on the road was cleaned up.

“I was honestly just worried that the thing would explode, but the bus driver kept going on pretty much until the bus was actually on fire,” Friel said.

Once the situation was resolved, the students were able to continue with their plans. They spent the rest of the day exploring the Chelsea and Midtown neighborhoods and attended performances of the Broadway show “Natasha, Pierre, & the Great Comet of 1812.”