Kappa Sigma fraternity dissolved

Elizabeth Worthington, News Co-Editor

The Alpha Phi chapter of the Kappa Sigma fraternity notified the University last week, on Aug. 22, that it was turning in its chapter, and as a result, will no longer be recognized as a student organization.

The chapter was placed on probation last year and incurred several layers of sanctions as the year progressed, both from their national organization and the University, including a significant fine.

The chapter’s faculty advisor and professor of political science, Chris Ellis, confirmed that the sanctions included not being able to host social events on campus for two years, and not being able to recruit members this fall semester.

“The sanctions placed on us by nationals and [the University] were unrealistic and set us up for failure, so we resigned as a chapter,” Chapter President Rich Nicolaides ’18 said.

It remains unclear what will happen to the fraternity’s chapter house. Representatives from Housing Services could not be reached for comment.

“Given the need to transition the facility at 64 University Ave. to a residence hall and the impact that has on its residents, we have a number of details to work through. We are committed to working with the students involved, along with Kappa Sigma’s national organization, to ensure a successful transition,” Dean of Students Amy Badal said.

This is a developing story.