Career-minded students travel to NYC for networking

Sasha Weilbaker, Senior Writer

Approximately 70 University students and four Career Development Center (CDC) staff members attended the NYC Communications, Arts & Entertainment Career Fair, which took place on Oct. 24 in the Ernst and Young building on W. 18th St. in Manhattan, N.Y. from 6 to 8 p.m. According to CDC Associate Director of Career Services Alison Ordonez, the fair has been taking place annually for close to 20 years.

Twenty-nine organizations, including ESPN, ABC, and Ralph Lauren, sent representatives to the event. Most of the representatives were University alumni or parents of current students and recent graduates.

In addition to the career fair, a portion of students visited CNN earlier in the day, where they spoke with CNN producers and alums. The group also saw a live broadcast of Fast Money, a talk show featuring debate between Wall Street traders.

“Everyone I spoke with seemed happy and excited to help with the job process. The job search does not really start until spring for the media industry, but the whole day was a great way to get a start and figure out what direction I want to head in,” Anslee Krouch ’18, who attended both the Career Fair and CNN field trip, said.

In the past, the event was held in early February to accommodate for spring hiring within the industry. However, due to weather issues over the past few years in addition to shifting the focus of the fair to be preparation for early spring semester deadline dates, the CDC moved the fair to the fall this year.

“This will give students the opportunity to meet organizations and reprentatives in the fall, learn about the opportunities, and continue to network and stay in touch until deadlines open in the spring,” Ordonez said.

Elizabeth Aucamp ’18 said that she went to the event because she interned at a media company last summer and wanted to learn more about potential career opportunities.

“The CDC brought several top companies to the fair providing students with the chance to network with current employees face to face, an experience that is an invaluable asset during the job hunt,” Aucamp said.