The 2017 Fall Dance Showcase: Talent and dedication delight audiences

Featuring dances choreographed by students, faculty, and guest artists

Haley Mullen, Contributing Writer

Lines stretched down the corridor of Coleman Hall on Nov. 10 at 7:30 p.m. and Nov. 11 at 2 p.m. with students eager to attend the 2017 Fall Dance Showcase. Held in Harvey Powers Theatre, the showcase was presented by the University’s Department of Theatre and Dance and directed by associate professor of dance Kelly Knox and students Catherine Higgins ’18, Kelly Pretz ’18, and Sam Sturken ’19. Featuring dance styles including contemporary, tap, and Irish step-dancing, the show was performed by dancers of all experience levels. The showcase also included guest artists Benae Beamon and Catharine Cipolla.

“I loved it! The guest artists are amazing and I always love seeing my students do their thing,” visiting assistant professor of women’s and gender studies Erica Delsandro said.

While this was not the first Fall Showcase for many of the dancers involved, each showcase still holds new experiences for all. As in her previous showcases, Sturken was a dancer and choreographer; however, this year Sturken also retained the responsibility of student director.

“My favorite part of directing showcase is getting to see it all come together. As a director, I get to see how everyone’s efforts are paying off, as opposed to just my own, and I have been able to watch the pieces and performers grow so much over these past few months,” Sturken said.

For many students, such as Sydney Slater ’21, the 2017 Fall Showcase offers a chance to both exhibit dynamic skills and form intimate connections that stretch beyond the stage.

“Showcase has enabled me to meet a bunch of great people I might have not met before and the rehearsals helped give structure to my days, which made it easier to acclimate to Bucknell,” Slater said.

Jen LoBello ’19, a first-time performer, prepared for the Fall Showcase in her Jazz I class, which she labeled as an “extremely inclusive” environment where “you can explore in ways you can’t in other classes.”

“Even though I usually take classes centered around my majors of international relations and Italian, I would highly recommend anyone to take a dance class during their time here,” LoBello added.

Many dancers, like graduate student Ivan Flores Sandoval, have participated in events like the Fall Showcase since their first year at the University.

“I have taken classes, choreographed, and danced in both the Showcase and Mainstage every year here. I cannot picture Bucknell without dance,” Sandoval said.

A number of events remain in the 2017-2018 performing arts season. The Fall Dance Concert will be held in Harvey Powers Theatre on Dec. 1 and Dec. 2 at 7:30 p.m. Additionally, Lauren Gunderson’s “Emilie: La Marquise Du Châtelet Defends Her Life Tonight,” directed by Casey Venema ’18, will be performed in Tustin Studio Theatre from Feb. 16 to Feb. 19.

All performances cost $12 for adults and $7 for students and senior citizens. Campus dollars are accepted.

See https://www.bucknell.edu/TD-CurrentSeason for additional art events and details.