Bison secure home victory over Boston, 67-57

Kelvin Adjei-Akosah

Kelvin Adjei-Akosah

Trashawna Herbert, Staff Writer

The Bison women’s basketball team triumphed over conference opponent Boston University at Sojka Pavilion on Jan. 27 with a final score of 67-57. Leading scorers Kyi English ’19 and Kate Walker ’19 combined for a total of 43 points, as they led the team to victory and brought their season record to 13-8 and 7-3 in the Patriot League.

The Orange and Blue shot 63.2 percent in the first half and finished with a satisfying 48.7 percent for the game. Their strong defense held the Terriers to a 41.2 shooting percentage.

“I have been able to rely on my individual defense, which I believe helps me get going offensively,” English said.

The Bison have been dominant from the free throw line in their last few games. English went 9-for-10 at the free throw line and Walker went 9-for-12, combining for 18 points and an 81.8 percent shooting percentage from the charity stripe. In their last four games, the Bison have advanced their free throw accuracy to 83 percent over that stretch.

Kaitlyn Slagus ’19 led the team in rebounds with 10 boards. The Orange and Blue played strong defense throughout the entire game, limiting the Terriers to only 22 rebounds. The Bison smoothed their victory with a total of 32 boards, putting up a double-digit rebounding margin for the seventh time in the past eight matchups.

“I think that as a team we had been bringing more energy on both ends of the court and on the bench. Defense has been a big part of the success we have the last couple of games,” Autumn Ceppi ’21 said.

Though the Terriers’ highlighted starters Katie Nelson and Payton Hauck combined for 28 points to lead the team, the team fell short to the Bison’s impeccable offense. It was the ninth straight win against Boston for the Orange and Blue, who improved to 9-1 all-time in the series between the two programs.

The Bison are now tied with Navy for second place in the Patriot League with a 7-3 conference record. They will enjoy a bye week before traveling to face the Lafayette Leopards at the Kirby Sports Center on Feb. 3 at 2 p.m.