Kenneth W. Freeman college of management named after $25 million donation

Damian Strohmeyer

Damian Strohmeyer

Kathryn Nicolai, News Editor

It was announced on Jan. 25 that alumnus Ken Freeman ’72 and his wife, Janice, had committed over $25 million to the new College of Management, which will be re-named the Kenneth W. Freeman College of Management. This is the first and only college to be named at the University. The gift will be used to hire senior management faculty and expand interdisciplinary education.

Freeman has been on the University’s Board of Trustees for three terms now. Freeman started his career at American multinational technology company Corning Inc. and later served as chairman, president, and CEO of Quest Diagnostics, a spin-off of Corning. Quest Diagnostic progressed to the top of the diagnostic testing services under Freeman’s management. In 2005, Freeman joined the private equity firm KKR as managing director and partner. In 2010 he became the dean of Boston University’s School of Management, now named the Questrom School of Business. Freeman was named among the top 100 performing CEOs by Harvard Business Review in 2010 and 2013.

“As a first-generation college student with broad interests, Bucknell provided an excellent education and a solid foundation for pursuing a rewarding career and personal life with a focus on making a difference,” Freeman said. “Management education at Bucknell is at an exciting inflection point. By giving in support of the recently established College of Management, we believe we can help accelerate progress and hope to make a meaningful and lasting impact on the lives of students for generations to come.”

Freeman previously provided funding to the College of Management, establishing the Kenneth W. Freeman Professorship and Dean of Management position, currently held by Raquel Alexander.

“We are beyond grateful for this exceptional gift, not only for the many ways it will enhance what we do for our students, but also because it forever links management education at Bucknell with this extraordinary family,” Alexander said. “Ken’s success is something our students can aspire to emulate, and having the Freeman name attached to the college will be a regular source of inspiration for all of us.”

Freeman’s gift advances the University’s goal of raising $100 million within the next 10 years to support management education.

Freeman acknowledged the importance of giving back.

“Janice and I believe strongly that giving back is a responsibility and a privilege, and what better cause than investing in the education of future leaders,” Freeman said.

“This historic gift will have a tremendous impact, and it deserves our deepest gratitude,” University President John Bravman said. “Ken and Janice’s vision and leadership will greatly strengthen our ability to recruit the best faculty and students and deliver an unparalleled undergraduate management education at the Freeman College of Management.”

1 Comment

One Response to “Kenneth W. Freeman college of management named after $25 million donation”

1. Anonymous on February 2nd, 2018 4:32 pm

Great to see bucknell on the rise.

[Reply]

*

• Kenneth W. Freeman college of management named after $25 million donation

University welcomes #MeToo movement visionary

Women’s track and field captures League Championship, men finish third

In searching for solutions to gun violence, one life makes a huge difference

A day in the life of a fracket

Shaggy to perform at 2018 Chrysalis Ball

Bison defeat Colgate in wild comeback win, go on to clinch regular season title

Editorial

Editorial: Same weapon, same pattern of response: mass shootings won’t wait for congressional leisure with gun control

Philadelphia adds second NFL team just so Wentz and Foles can start

In Memoriam: Ruth Ann Craven

Through the Gates: Suné Swart