Kenneth W. Freeman college of management named after $25 million donation

Damian Strohmeyer

Damian Strohmeyer

Kathryn Nicolai, News Editor

It was announced on Jan. 25 that alumnus Ken Freeman ’72 and his wife, Janice, had committed over $25 million to the new College of Management, which will be re-named the Kenneth W. Freeman College of Management. This is the first and only college to be named at the University. The gift will be used to hire senior management faculty and expand interdisciplinary education.

Freeman has been on the University’s Board of Trustees for three terms now. Freeman started his career at American multinational technology company Corning Inc. and later served as chairman, president, and CEO of Quest Diagnostics, a spin-off of Corning. Quest Diagnostic progressed to the top of the diagnostic testing services under Freeman’s management. In 2005, Freeman joined the private equity firm KKR as managing director and partner. In 2010 he became the dean of Boston University’s School of Management, now named the Questrom School of Business. Freeman was named among the top 100 performing CEOs by Harvard Business Review in 2010 and 2013.

“As a first-generation college student with broad interests, Bucknell provided an excellent education and a solid foundation for pursuing a rewarding career and personal life with a focus on making a difference,” Freeman said. “Management education at Bucknell is at an exciting inflection point. By giving in support of the recently established College of Management, we believe we can help accelerate progress and hope to make a meaningful and lasting impact on the lives of students for generations to come.”

Freeman previously provided funding to the College of Management, establishing the Kenneth W. Freeman Professorship and Dean of Management position, currently held by Raquel Alexander.

“We are beyond grateful for this exceptional gift, not only for the many ways it will enhance what we do for our students, but also because it forever links management education at Bucknell with this extraordinary family,” Alexander said. “Ken’s success is something our students can aspire to emulate, and having the Freeman name attached to the college will be a regular source of inspiration for all of us.”

Freeman’s gift advances the University’s goal of raising $100 million within the next 10 years to support management education.

Freeman acknowledged the importance of giving back.

“Janice and I believe strongly that giving back is a responsibility and a privilege, and what better cause than investing in the education of future leaders,” Freeman said.

“This historic gift will have a tremendous impact, and it deserves our deepest gratitude,” University President John Bravman said. “Ken and Janice’s vision and leadership will greatly strengthen our ability to recruit the best faculty and students and deliver an unparalleled undergraduate management education at the Freeman College of Management.”

1 Comment

One Response to “Kenneth W. Freeman college of management named after $25 million donation”

1. Anonymous on February 2nd, 2018 4:32 pm

Great to see bucknell on the rise.

*

• Kenneth W. Freeman college of management named after $25 million donation

Local Dem. candidate Dr. Jenn Rager-Kay takes non-partisan approach to politics

Bucknell Institute of Public Policy

What Kavanaugh’s confirmation could mean for pro-women policy in the coming years

Reflections from an American soccer fan in Spain

Senior offers South Campus Apartment as Airbnb for Homecoming Weekend

Features

The 10th annual Common Ground retreat

Josh Peck speaks at Weis Center

Elon Musk faces consequences of social media

Field Hockey

Field hockey picks up eighth straight win at home

Study-A-Mod: Office of global and off-campus studies creates new off-campus program at University West

Paint Bucknell Pink 5K