In Memoriam: Ruth Ann Craven

Back to Article
Back to Article

In Memoriam: Ruth Ann Craven

Photo courtesy of Emily Paine, Bucknell Division of Communications

Kathryn Nicolai, News Editor

The University mourns the loss of Ruth Ann Craven, a member of the University’s staff for 43 years. In 1974, Craven started as a staff member for the University’s Department of Psychology. In 1994, Craven transitioned to serve as the administrative assistant for the Office of the Chaplains and Religious Life. She was also the caretaker of the Ward House on campus. In 2014, she was awarded the Zeller Award for support staff excellence in fulfilling responsibilities.

University President John Bravman issued a statement on Feb. 5 that read, “Anyone who has attended a religious service, a choir or bell concert, or Candlelight Service at Rooke Chapel has experienced her attention to detail and steadfast loyalty to the University.”

A memorial service will be held at Rooke Chapel on Feb. 18 at 1 p.m. for Craven.

“I am deeply saddened to hear about the passing of Ruth Ann. She treated everyone she met as if they were her family.” Jesse Lopez ’19 who has sang in the Rooke Chapel Vocal Ensemble for the past six semesters, said. “She had such a big heart, and always made you feel welcomed. She not only was the administrative assistant to Rooke chapel for me, but she was someone I could always turn to for a smile. She will be deeply, deeply missed.”