Trump meets Biden’s taunt with more immature remarks

Caroline Guthrie, Staff Writer

At a University of Miami rally against sexual violence on March 21, former Vice President Joe Biden called out President Donald Trump for his remark, “I can grab a woman anywhere, and she likes it.”

“If we were in high school, I’d take him behind the gym and beat the hell out of him,” Biden said.

While the audience laughed at Biden’s response, his comment adds to the string of immature comments exerted from the White House weekly. Politicians are our country’s leaders and should hold themselves to a higher standard.

Trump’s immaturity has been in the White House for far too long. His ways of communicating cannot become the norm for all politicians. His response to Biden proved he is incapable of holding himself to a higher standard. Trump tweeted, “Crazy Joe Biden is trying to act like a tough guy. Actually, he is weak, both mentally and physically, and yet he threatens me, for the second time, with physical assault. He doesn’t know me, but he would go down fast and hard, crying all the way. Don’t threaten people Joe!”

The irony of Trump’s criticism reflects a never ending cycle: Trump cannot receive criticism without responding back.

Americans should be disappointed in the aggressive political climate produced by many of Trump’s actions. While Biden’s comments were still uncalled for and immature, they should not be scrutinized as much as coming from the president, who seems to threaten and degrade any and all of his critics on a weekly basis. Even searching in Google for “Trump offensive comments” brings up countless articles about his racist, misogynistic, and disgusting remarks about people who do not deserve his bullying.

Though Trump’s behavior may not have substantially affected other politicians, it has certainly reached his supporters. After Trump took office, some teenagers felt dignified in making racist, homophobic, and misogynistic remarks to their peers; for instance, white students at two Midwest high schools chanted “build the wall” towards Latino athletes.

Former Vice President Biden may have stooped to a low level, but overall I believe he is a good person and these remarks were based out of disgust for Trump’s comments on harassing women, rather than out of a lack of character.