Students initiate counter-protest to anti-gay marriage protestors on Route 15

Photo Courtesy of Ines Malone

Photo Courtesy of Ines Malone

Elizabeth Worthington, Editor-in-Chief

On March 26, individuals were seen on Route 15 protesting against gay marriage. The group, which is believed to belong to a local church, held up signs with statements such as, “Honk for traditional marriage” or “God’s marriage is 1 man + 1 woman.”

In response, University students swiftly organized a counter-protest, bringing signs that read “Love is Love,” and “Marriage is about love, not gender.”

“I think it’s imperative that we make it clear our campus is a community that is welcoming to all, and that we will not stand for bigotry. The importance of this event came not from their bigotry but in the immediate response of our community. It was empowering to see how many people were willing to just drop anything to go stand for something so important,” Brenna Prevelige ’20, who participated in the counter-protest, said.

1 Comment

One Response to “Students initiate counter-protest to anti-gay marriage protestors on Route 15”

1. Larry W. Jones on March 31st, 2018 4:11 am

There is no such thing as “God’s marriage.” Marriage is a civil contract controlled by local, state, and federal civil law. What you are ranting about is religious matrimony, and the Constitution already says religions can do whatever they want with matrimony; government is only concerned with civil marriage.

*

• Students initiate counter-protest to anti-gay marriage protestors on Route 15

Student Lectureship series to welcome: Josh Peck

Kavanaugh accusations: A byproduct of #MeToo

Behind the scenes of the Athletics Department

Josh Peck cancels University lecture after running over Oprah

Features

A preview of Family Weekend 2018

9/11 Remembrance

Editorial

Editorial: Anonymous op-ed in The New York Times stirs questions of the President’s competency

Beyond the Bison

Beyond the Bison: Williams’ passionate self-defense costs tennis star 24th Grand Slam title

The list: How to study abroad in Lewisburg

Features

Bucknell Community College Scholars Program: A life-changing opportunity