Students initiate counter-protest to anti-gay marriage protestors on Route 15

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo Courtesy of Ines Malone

Photo Courtesy of Ines Malone

Photo Courtesy of Ines Malone

Elizabeth Worthington, Editor-in-Chief

On March 26, individuals were seen on Route 15 protesting against gay marriage. The group, which is believed to belong to a local church, held up signs with statements such as, “Honk for traditional marriage” or “God’s marriage is 1 man + 1 woman.”

In response, University students swiftly organized a counter-protest, bringing signs that read “Love is Love,” and “Marriage is about love, not gender.”

“I think it’s imperative that we make it clear our campus is a community that is welcoming to all, and that we will not stand for bigotry. The importance of this event came not from their bigotry but in the immediate response of our community. It was empowering to see how many people were willing to just drop anything to go stand for something so important,” Brenna Prevelige ’20, who participated in the counter-protest, said.

1 Comment

One Response to “Students initiate counter-protest to anti-gay marriage protestors on Route 15”

1. Larry W. Jones on March 31st, 2018 4:11 am

There is no such thing as “God’s marriage.” Marriage is a civil contract controlled by local, state, and federal civil law. What you are ranting about is religious matrimony, and the Constitution already says religions can do whatever they want with matrimony; government is only concerned with civil marriage.

*

• Students initiate counter-protest to anti-gay marriage protestors on Route 15

Early Decision I applications: Inside the admissions process

Editorial

Editorial: Climate change report released on Black Friday contradicts the presidential administration’s messages of denial

Wrestling to take on three-time defending national champions Penn State

Canada Geese flock to Lewisburg for the winter

Dean Badal and President Bravman address student concerns at A Night with the Presidents

Gun control is more than just a partisan issue. It’s a race issue.

Women’s basketball pulls out impressive win in home opener

The Bucknellian presents: Which editor are you?

Campus engagement in 2018 midterm elections

Brazilians elect demagogue mirroring Trump in landslide