Students initiate counter-protest to anti-gay marriage protestors on Route 15

Photo Courtesy of Ines Malone

Photo Courtesy of Ines Malone

Elizabeth Worthington, Editor-in-Chief

On March 26, individuals were seen on Route 15 protesting against gay marriage. The group, which is believed to belong to a local church, held up signs with statements such as, “Honk for traditional marriage” or “God’s marriage is 1 man + 1 woman.”

In response, University students swiftly organized a counter-protest, bringing signs that read “Love is Love,” and “Marriage is about love, not gender.”

“I think it’s imperative that we make it clear our campus is a community that is welcoming to all, and that we will not stand for bigotry. The importance of this event came not from their bigotry but in the immediate response of our community. It was empowering to see how many people were willing to just drop anything to go stand for something so important,” Brenna Prevelige ’20, who participated in the counter-protest, said.

1 Comment

One Response to “Students initiate counter-protest to anti-gay marriage protestors on Route 15”

1. Larry W. Jones on March 31st, 2018 4:11 am

There is no such thing as “God’s marriage.” Marriage is a civil contract controlled by local, state, and federal civil law. What you are ranting about is religious matrimony, and the Constitution already says religions can do whatever they want with matrimony; government is only concerned with civil marriage.

[Reply]

*

• Students initiate counter-protest to anti-gay marriage protestors on Route 15

Amy Wax stirs up controversy

University names Jermaine Truax as new Director of Athletics

Syracuse case a reminder that Greek Life must combat waves of negative press

Student thrown out of class for saying hot dogs are sandwiches

Investigative News

The disappearance of Ray Gricar, 13 years later

Bison place among elite competition at Outdoor Classic meet

Students should have more parking options with Academic East construction

Who’s the biggest tease?

Ken Burns speaks on “The Vietnam War” and other documentary successes

Meet Anna Chiodo-Ortiz