Women’s lacrosse loses in a defensive battle

Kaelyn Long, Staff Writer

The women’s lacrosse team lost a Patriot League game against the Boston University Terriers on April 14 with a final score of 9-6. Twice the Bison rallied to make it a one goal game, but came up just short. Jamie DeWitt ’19 had a lot of action in the cage, finishing with a career high 17 saves.

“Boston is a really tough competitor and it is always a battle with them. They came out pretty strong and I think our defense did a really good job of shutting down some of their key players,” DeWitt said. “The game did not end how we would have liked, but we learned a lot and are hoping to finish the rest of the season strong.”

The game started with a 1-1 tie following a goal by Lillie Hunt ’20. The Terriers soon gained momentum, taking a 4-1 lead within the first ten minutes. The Bison took a defensive stand the next 15 minutes, preventing the Terriers from scoring. Mary Margaret Kenney ’18 and Eve Lukowski ’18 both netted a goal apiece during that 15-minute time period, cutting the Terrier’s lead to 4-3. The Terriers responded with two goals, going into halftime with a 6-3 lead.

After the half, the Bison dominated with two back-to-back goals from Audrey Walsh ’19 and Kate Fiore ’20 to put the score at 6-5. However, Boston would go on to net another three goals for a comfortable four-goal lead. Both teams remained scoreless for the next 13 minutes, until Eve Calabria ’21 scored a free-position goal with 1:44 left to play. Calabria led the Bison for the day with two points.

Jessie Britton ’20 led the team with five ground balls and Callie DeWitt ’19 finished with three caused turnovers. Ultimately, the Terriers led in shots and draw controls, but the Bison led in ground balls.

The Orange and Blue then dropped their second consecutive loss to league-leading Loyola by a final score of 18-6 on April 18. The Herd battled to a 4-4 tie early in the first half, but the Greyhounds pulled away to a 9-4 lead going into the break. Walsh and Sarah Galzerano ’18 led the effort with two goals apiece.

The Bison will be back in action when they travel to Lehigh on April 22 for a 1 p.m. game.

(Visited 53 times, 1 visits today)