Spring [fashion] has sprung

By Elizabeth Tamkin

Arts & Life Editor

While students on campus associate the onset of spring with the constant flow of over-the-counter Claritin or Zyrtec, the truth is, spring is also a time of blossoming fashions and changing styles. We just escaped (rather, are in the process of escaping) a frigidly cold winter season here in Pennsylvania. What better way to celebrate the changing temperatures than to rework your wardrobe?

This season, fashion is blossoming (much like the struggling flowers we see in the landscaping) with color. Designer brands, like Kate Spade, whose S/S 2011 line offers vibrant yellows, pinks and oranges in its products, welcome the warm weather with dainty color-tipped ballet flats and sky-high wedges to be paired with cropped or flared pants. Let’s not overlook their creative take on colorful satchels and phone cases, because as students, we must keep fashion in our school accessories.

Kate Spade is not the only brand that is showing the world some style. Brands like Madewell and its sister store J.Crew offer colorful floral prints that incorporate spring’s theme of vibrancy. What is more perfect for the University female community than a fabulous J.Crew line? A pair of J Brand bright red skinny jeans that are rolled up at the cuff should compliment your delicate floral-print blouse. This is casual way of wearing color, embraced by the fashion-forward.

If brightly-colored pants are not for you, a knitted turban headband, simple plastic watch or inexpensive retro shades may be a good investment in a small pop of color. The turban, a trend started by Prada in its Spring 2007 collection, has been spotted on well-known style icons such as Kourtney Kardashian and Sarah Jessica Parker. If you don’t see yourself wearing a turban, the colorful watches are great for us Pennsylvania students. They are (semi) waterproof, a novelty during the rainy month of April here in Lewisburg. For the rare days when the rain stops, it is smart to invest in a pair of statement sunnies. Retro shades of various hues are being heavily embraced by designer brands such as Matthew Williamson and Karen Walker, but are also offered by the less-expensive Urban Outfitters and Topshop.

Retro shades are only one element of the currently-booming ’70s chic trend. Your mother’s high-waisted trousers or paisley mid-length skirt from when she was young are finally good for something. Not only do we see the waists of pants rising even further, but the cut of shirts are, too. American Apparel offers a wide range of such trendy tops and blouses that are cut nearly illegally short. This ’70s throwback is yet another reason to invest in some color, as back in the day, they had a little more fun with vibrancy than our generation does today.

Tip: Unsure of what to wear? Try taking a look at what the fashionista bloggers have to say. These online blogs are not only following current trends, but they also offer fantastic ideas to jumpstart your styling of the day. But be aware, these gals (and guys) go the whole nine yards with color.