University names Jermaine Truax as new Director of Athletics

Brittany Willwerth, Sports Co-Editors

After a national search lasting several months, the University Department of Athletics announced its new director of athletics and recreation on April 19. Jermaine Truax, the current Deputy Athletic Director at Loyola University Chicago, will now fill the position left by former Athletic Director John Hardt. Truax will officially step into his new role on July 1, 2018.

Possessing an impressive resume, Truax has acquired a plethora of accolades among collegiate sports. Having been selected to participate in the NCAA Pathway Program, which seeks to educate senior-level administrators, he enters his new leadership position with a toolbox of resources. Truax was chosen by a selection committee of alumni, faculty, staff, coaches, and students in conjunction with Witt/Kieffer’s executive sports leadership practice.

“I am confident my fellow student-athletes will feel inspired by his leadership,” Meghan Kovac ’18, the student-athlete representative who sat on the selection committee, said.

Prior to his position at Loyola Chicago, Truax served as the associate athletics director for compliance and administration at Bowling Green State University, as well as the director of compliance and coordination of internal operations at St. Bonaventure University.

“I am excited to see the ways in which he helps elevate what is already among the best Division I athletic programs in the country,” University President John Bravman said in an email to the University community.