Local merchants accepting Campus Dollars

Kathryn Nicolai, News Editor

Many local merchants will be accepting Campus Dollars next semester, including Applebee’s, Barnes & Noble at Bucknell University, The Campus Theatre, CVS at Penn House Commons, Giant Food Store, Moe’s Southwest Grill, Pizza Phi, Primo Hoagies, Sheetz, Sweet Frog, The Miller Center for Recreation and Wellness, and Weis Markets.

Meal plans and Campus Dollars are two separate accounts. While Dining Dollars are part of the meal plan and are valid only at campus dining locations, Campus Dollars can be used for laundry as well as meals on and off campus. Campus dollars are also 100% refundable after a student graduates, unlike Dining Dollars.

The Campus Dollars program allows for students to use campus dollars at off-campus eateries and businesses. The program is administered by the outside company, Ugryd.

“When a local merchant is interested in joining the program, they work with Ugryd to install the system to swipe student’s ID cards and accept Campus Dollars,” Director of Business Services Lori Wilson said. Ugryd offers 24/7 support to merchants, in the case that they are to encounter any problems. Ugryd process daily deposits to the merchants for purchases. There are fees for merchants participating in the program retained by Ugryd covering their costs to manage the program.

The benefit of the system is allowing students an easy way to make purchases in the local community using their BU IDs.

“It helps local businesses maintain a connection to the University, and and welcome students,” Wilson said. Merchants are provided stickers from the University to put in their businesses so students know where they can use their Campus Dollars, according to Wilson.