Fall Concert 2018: Steve Aoki featuring AJR

Emily Barlow, Contributing Writer

The Bucknell Concert Committee announced that famed DJ Steve Aoki will perform at this year’s Fall Concert with opening act AJR. The event will be held  on Sept. 28 in the Gerhard Fieldhouse. The doors will open at 7 p.m. and the concert will start at 8 p.m. Tickets are on sale online and at the campus box office at $30 for students and $40 for the general public.

A survey was sent via email to students asking them who they would like to perform this fall. The artist music styles ranged from indie pop, hip hop, and electro house music. Alessia Cara, Lil Dicky, and Odesza are among the other potential artists students had the opportunity to choose to come to the University.

“Steve Aoki received a high percentage of votes and his schedule worked with Bucknell’s availability, so the Concert Committee decided to invite him to perform,” Graham Gilliam ’19, Chair of the Concert Committee, said.

The 40-year-old California native has been active in the industry since 1996. In 2008, Aoki won the “Best Mix Album of the Year” award at the Billboard Awards for his debut mix album “Pillowface and His Airplane Chronicles.”

Aoki is known for his theatrics during his performances. In the past, Aoki has crowd surfed on inflatable rafts, sprayed bottles of champagne at crowds, and thrown cakes at his audiences. His stage presence has helped him accrue a larger fanbase.

“We are looking forward to this level of engagement and think it will be fun to see Bucknellians ‘get caked!’” Gilliam said. “The Concert Committee is also mindful of the social and environmental impact Bucknell concerts have, and are working closely with the artists to reduce food waste.”

AJR, an American electro pop band, is set to open for Aoki at the concert. The band consists of three brothers, Adam, Jack and Ryan Met, who write, produce, and mix their own material in their New York City apartment. The Recording Industry Association of America has awarded the group two Platinum Awards for their songs “I’m Ready” and “Weak.”

“We are very excited to invite AJR as well. We think they will make a great pair for a performance since they have different music styles, yet have collaborated on a song together—‘Pretender,’” Gilliam said.

The Bucknell Concert Committee has been promoting the event by playing Aoki’s music in the  LC Mall since classes began on Aug. 20. The committee has also been advertising the event on social media via Instagram (@bucknell_concertcommittee).