BizPitch competition to take place in November

Harry Hobart, Contributing Writer

Each November, the BizPitch competition is held during Global Entrepreneurship Week. This opportunity gives student entrepreneurs a chance to win prizes to help them launch their ventures. Students connect with advisers, access resources, and secure a membership in StartupLewisburg, the home for innovators located in downtown Lewisburg. Through this service, member entrepreneurs and early-stage companies have access to consulting services and exclusive networking opportunities within the University community.

BizPitch is an event inspired by ABC’s “Shark Tank,” and is directed by the University’s Small Business Development Center (SBDC). This means that participants must pitch their idea and answer a series of questions before the panel of judges, who determine if the idea is profitable or not. BizPitch is open to full-time students at the University. Students may compete in teams or alone and are required to own 50 percent of the company. The first prize winner(s) receives a $2,500 grant to help support their venture.

Competitors compose five-minute pitches in which they present a new, proposed, or recently-launched product or business. The presentations aim to convey innovative and marketable concepts or ventures in a compelling way. Qualifying entries are presented in private to a panel of judges in a preliminary round. Presentations are then followed by a brief question and answer session. The grand finale of the event  is during Global Entrepreneurship Week in November.

Caldwell Harden ’19 first became involved in BizPitch after signing up for a College of Management class called Should We Start This Company? She and her team of classmates pitched the idea for a company called Selvage, a fashion recycling service. “By participating in Bizpitch, I was able to meet and learn about the various entrepreneurship opportunities the school has to offer as well ask alumni for help and advice,” Harden said.

If you are at all interested in participating in BizPitch, contact the SBDC at (570)-577-1249 or [email protected]