Behind the scenes of the Athletics Department

Back to Article
Back to Article

Brittany Willwerth, Sports Co-Editor

Among every athletic department is a dedicated group of individuals that diligently works to provide resources, care, and assistance for its athletes. Here at the University, this team of people goes unnoticed at times, seamlessly creating an environment that prompts success both on and off the field.

For three individuals, Vincent McCarthy, Barb Dugan, and Diane Boyce, the ability to contribute to this community serves as an amazing opportunity.

McCarthy, after retiring from being a teacher in Mifflinburg, transitioned into working at the front desk of the Kenneth G. Langone Athletics & Recreation Center (KLARC), greeting and guiding visitors and athletes as they enter the building. In addition, he assists in working at the Bison Fuel station, a place where student-athletes can grab a snack prior to practice.

Reflecting on his time as a member of the Orange and Blue, McCarthy is grateful for the people with whom he interacts.

“Every Varsity athlete is so polite and engaging at this school. Being a part of this athletics family proves everyday how sports have the ability to transcend gender, race, and religion; it is truly awe-inspiring,” McCarthy said.

Yet another member of the group behind the scenes is Barb Dugan, equipment manager for the women’s sports teams. Having worked here for 21 years, Dugan recalls numerous memories that stand out during her experiences.

“Among the best components about working at this school is the ability to form relationships with the athletes and hearing their stories, struggles, and successes,” Dugan said. “On numerous occasions I have heard from various alumni who consistently prove that this job goes beyond just simply being a job, it is something I truly love.”

One final member of the team working to help student-athletes is athletic trainer Diane Boyce. On a usual day, Diane can be found providing acute, preventative, and rehabilitative care for those in need of assistance. She describes the meaning of her job as something special.

“Being an athletic trainer at Bucknell goes beyond simply providing treatment for my athletes; my job means becoming a member of the families each team forms, genuinely investing in their well-being,” Boyce said. “I love coming into work everyday and watching the athletes develop before my own eyes, improving not only athletically but as human beings.”

In essence, it is the people working around the athletic department that genuinely prove just how unique it is to be a Bison, to be a member of the family. For student-athletes alike, many express sincere gratitude for the support provided in every way, shape, and form; gratitude that will continue to exist for years to come.