Women's lax defeats Manhattan

By Andrew Arnao

The women’s lacrosse team scored seven straight goals in the first half to pull away from Manhattan and break a five-game losing streak in a home game on Tuesday. The win game three days after the team fell to Holy Cross on Senior Day.

“Against Manhattan, we came out strong at the beginning, and we maintained the intensity throughout the game,” Alyssa DeLorenz ’11 said. “The offense really gelled and worked together, and the defense focused on working as a unit.”

The Orange and the Blue’s scoring streak broken open a game that was tied 2-2 beforehand, allowing the Bison to go into halftime leading 9-3. The second half was more closely contested, but the Bison still finished strong by scoring five of the last eight goals to win 17-11.

Madison Hurwitz ’13 led the offense with six goals, while Ali Carey ’14 and Katelyn Miller ’14 scored four and two goals, respectively. Julia Braun ’11, Sophie Kleinert ’14, Adrienne Wendling ’13, Andrea Feldman ’14 and Lindsey Ferro ’14 also scored a goal apiece. Ashley St. John ’11 led the team with four draw controls, and DeLorenz had a career-high 22 saves in a brilliant outing.

Carey also lauded the effort against Manhattan. “We played well all over the field. We did amazing in transition and were really able to capitalize on our clears,” she said.

The Bison lost to Holy Cross 14-7 on Saturday. They Bison jumped out to a 4-1 lead after several great saves by goalie Alyssa DeLorenz ’11. The Crusaders scored four goals to make it 5-5 going into halftime, then made six straight goals to put the game out of reach.

“We have struggled with coming out strong in the opening minutes of the game,” DeLorenz said, “so for Holy Cross, our goal was to focus on that. Unfortunately, we still couldn’t pull together a full 60 minutes.”

Braun, Carey and Hurwitz each scored two goals, while Kleinert scored one. Carey and Miller each had two assists, while Wendling led the team with five draw controls. DeLorenz had seven saves.

There were 59 fouls for both teams, and the Bison had 21 turnovers compared to the Crusaders’ 10. The Bison led draw controls 15-6.

The team’s four seniors were honored before the game: Braun, DeLorenz, St. John and Christina Garman. Garman also made her first career start in this game.

The Bison women have the weekend off but play their last home game of the season against Columbia next Wednesday at 4 p.m.