Weis Center hosts Imago Theatre’s “Frogz”

Elizabeth Lagerback, Contributing Writer

The Weis Center for the Performing Arts hosted two performances of the play “Frogz” on Feb. 5 and 6. The play was put on by the Imago Theatre and is the theatre’s most famous production. “Frogz” first ran in 1979 and has since been on Broadway twice, as well as on tour all around North America, Europe, and Asia.

Carol Triffle and Jerry Mouawad, the creators of the show, co-founded Imago Theatre in 1979, with “Frogz” as their debut show. Initially, the show was nameless, but when the theatre expanded and created another show, they decided to name it. However, much like the content of the show, the name of it has changed over time. It was not given the title “Frogz” until it ran on Broadway.

The show is family-friendly, as many children were in the audience, but even University students came to see the show. “‘Frogz’ leaped over my expectations,” Sage Rhianne ’22 said after watching the show.

“Frogz” consists of 11 different segments, each with distinctive characters and settings, and an intermission. The show runs for an hour and 25 minutes in total, including a 15-minute intermission. While the performance has no speaking, it makes use of movement, costume, and sound to create an entertaining experience.

The play’s scenes have changed throughout the number of production versions. The only scene that has remained the same from the show’s first performance is the opening scene, titled Frogs. The show opens with three frogs sitting motionless on stage. After a while, they each begin to slowly move until eventually, they are all hopping. It ends with two of the frogs leaving the stage, and the other trying to kill a fly.

Since there are such diverse scenes, when one scene ends, the next one comes as a surprise. One scene included a large baby crawling around the stage next to whispering orbs and another showed penguins playing musical chairs. “I think the best part of ‘Frogz’ is the raw shock you experience while watching,” said Rachel Milio ’22.

There are four performers in the show who wear different masks for the majority of the time. During the very last scene, the performers reveal their faces. However, when in character, the performers are highly interactive with the audience, as they sometimes go into the crowd.  The names of the performers are Laura Loy, Mark Mullaney, Bryan Smith, and Kaician Jade Kitko.

Aside from the performers, contributors to this show included George Smith, who created cartoons for the Cowboy segment, Jeff Forbes, the light designer, Katie Griesar, who composed the original music, and Chris Balo, the stage manager.