Makin’ our way downtown: A spotlight on shopping in downtown Lewisburg

Julie Spierer, Special Features Editor

A stroll down Market Street can lead some to grab a bagel over at All Star Bagels, or a cup of frozen yogurt at Sweet Frog. At the beginning of the semester, many students flood Barnes & Noble to pick up their textbooks at the start of classes. However, there are many more quaint shops that are hidden down the historic block.

From antiques, to art galleries, to clothing and accessory shops, Lewisburg’s Market Street has something for every shopper’s needs.

“Downtown shops and the center of Lewisburg serves the college population really well by having good shopping and many diverse places to eat. The downtown area allows for Bucknellians to engage with the Lewisburg community in some sense,” Emma Mustion ’20 said.

Lewisburg is classified by historians as a “Pennsylvania Town,” a term used to describe a distinct town layout developed back in Colonial times. The form is usually comprised of a main street with a town square at its center. The streets are lined with 18th-century log, stone, and brick buildings, rich with history.

You never know what you may stumble across when traveling through the streets of Lewisburg, so let’s take a look at some of the shops down Market Street.

Retrah

Retrah offers fine men’s and women’s clothing and accessories, ranging from casual everyday wear to dresses and suits for a more formal occasion. The shop offers a wide variety of brands, including Vineyard Vines, Tommy Bahama, Lucky Brand, and Brighton.

If you are looking for something for yourself or a gift for another, Retrah is the perfect place to visit.

For more information, you can reach the store at 570-524-1500, or go check out their location at 424 Market Street Monday through Saturday from 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.

“It’s great to have a store in town like Retrah where I can go for cute clothes and actually try stuff on. I love supporting the local business and having it so conveniently close to campus,” Sam Santomartino ’19 said.

Dwellings

Dwellings sells a unique mix of fashionable apparel and accessories. The shop offers a wide selection of jewelry and handbags, as well as personal accessories like stationery, barware, and keychains.

“The shop is really cute and convenient and you can always find something in Dwellings! I go there whenever I need something for birthdays or Secret Santa parties,” Mustion said.

Visit Dwellings at 425 Market Street Monday through Saturday from 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.

Wolf’s Jewelry

Wolf’s Jewelry has been in business for 73 years in downtown Lewisburg. In addition to selling elegant jewelry, they also do jewelry repairs. If your watch needs a new battery, you can bring it into Wolf’s and they will fix it up for you.

Aside from jewelry, the store sells Soy Dream Candles, which are hand-poured using natural, kosher soy wax made from soybeans. There are many fragrances to choose from, and the store welcomes guests to come in and smell the many options.

The shop also sells Lewisburg Lamp Post pottery items, which are all made by local artists.

“Wolfs Jewelry is on the top of my list of shops I’d like to visit on Market Street in downtown Lewisburg. I really enjoy having the opportunity to support local artists,” Collin McArdle ’19 said.

If you are interested in checking out the store, you can visit their location at 314 Market Street Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. and Saturday, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.

The Mercantile

Many local shoppers and college students love visiting The Mercantile since its opening in Lewisburg in 1981. There are fun and fresh gifts for others, as well as some nice gifts to treat yourself.

In 2017, the shop was voted Best Gift Shop by the Best of Valley Readers’ Choice contest. If you are interested in exploring a wide range of products, including bags, water bottles, candles, and jewelry, check out The Mercantile at 319 Market Street from 10 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and Saturday and 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. on Friday.

Black Dog Jewelers

Established in 2008, the owners of Black Dog Jewelers sought to raise funds for the local no-kill dog rescue where they got their very own black dog, Winston. The owners designed pendants to sell, and all proceeds went to help other rescued dogs find homes.

Black Dog Jewelers came to Lewisburg in 2013 and now sells products outside of pendants, offering a wide selection of jewelry. The store also offers full jewelry repair and restoration.

“I have bought some really pretty jewelry for myself, my mom, and family members at the store. The lady who works there is very sweet and is always willing to help me find what I need,” Mishi Papich ’19 said.

Visit Black Dog Jewelers at 437 Market Street from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Saturday.

Be sure to support all the great downtown business during your time in Lewisburg for your fashion and shopping needs!